I don’t know about you, but for me there is nothing more liberating and self-defining then travelling solo. Me, myself and I. That scenario where there is just you to please and your own heart’s desire to follow. And ironically enough, during my solo travels is where I have met the most amazing people and made lasting friendships. I love the freedom to be spontaneous and the space to spark up a conversation with another solo traveller that has given some of my trips the most wonderful and unlikely of twists.
Needless to say solo travel in Australia can be a great adventure. So here are some of my favourite tried and tested tips to help make your solo travel in Australia as enjoyable and safe as possible.
- Purpose: always have an overall theme of mission to your travel. Frame your trip around what makes you feel alive, your hobbies or your personal interests. Like a stream meandering through the hills, keep this purpose in your mind when planning out each step of your journey.
- Plan your itinerary: Australia is a vast country with a lot to see, so it’s important to plan your itinerary in advance. Think about what you want to see and do, and research the best time of year to visit each destination. Consider using a travel app or guidebook to help plan your trip. The north of Australia is stinking hot from October onwards, be ready! The march flys can be relentless on certain island destinations with hot weather too.
- Stay safe: Australia is generally a safe country, but it’s always important to take precautions when traveling alone. Be aware of your surroundings, avoid walking alone at night in unfamiliar areas, and keep your valuables secure.
- Connect with locals: Australia has a friendly and welcoming culture, so don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation with locals. They can offer valuable insights into the best places to visit, eat and stay.
- Consider joining a group tour: If you’re not comfortable traveling alone, consider joining a group tour. There are plenty of companies that offer tours specifically for solo travellers in Australia, which can be a great way to meet like-minded people and see the sights together.
- Embrace the outdoors: Australia is known for its stunning natural beauty, so make sure to take advantage of the great outdoors. Go hiking, snorkelling, or simply relax on the beach and soak up the sunshine.
- Try the local food: Australia has a diverse and delicious food scene, so make sure to try some of the local cuisine. From seafood to barbecue to multicultural cuisine, there’s something for every taste.
- Take lots of photos: Australia is a photographer’s dream, with stunning landscapes and wildlife to capture. Take lots of photos to remember your trip, and share them with your friends and family back home.
Overall, solo travel in Australia can be a rewarding and unforgettable experience. Just remember to plan ahead, stay safe, and have fun exploring this beautiful country.