Our famous Drop Bear Adventures Fraser Island 3 Day / 2 Night Tours are not only popular for their amazing all inclusive itinerary and service, but also for their unique flexibility. Tours depart twice weekly (3 times at peak season) from Rainbow Beach, Noosa and Hervey Bay. We have put together a list of reasons to go to Fraser Island from Rainbow Beach to help you make up your own mind which of these pickup locations best suits your needs. With our Drop Bear Highway service, you can even finish your trip in a different destination than the one you started out in. That way, you can go to Fraser Island from Rainbow Beach and return to Noosa or Hervey Bay (and vice versa), getting the most out of both tour itineraries.
Reasons to go to Fraser Island from Rainbow Beach:
If you are coming from the South and headed North, Noosa or Rainbow Beach are your nearest gateways to Fraser Island. You could start your Fraser Island from Rainbow Beach and finish up in Hervey Bay, saving yourself a lot of time, hassle and money covering that distance on the road.
- If you are coming from the North and headed South, it’s a better idea to depart for Fraser Island from Hervey Bay and return to Rainbow Beach, for the same reasons. Either way, we offer luggage transfers and can organise accommodation on either end of your trip.
- Both Noosa and Hervey Bay are easily accessible by plane, train, car and bus. Rainbow Beach does not have an airport and you will have to take into account extra transfer times if you are arriving by plane or train. However, there are several buses servicing Rainbow Beach and it is easy to get to by car.
- Rainbow Beach is a very small seaside town, which largely serves as a gateway to Fraser Island and Cooloola National Park, so there isn’t a whole lot to do before you depart on the tour. However, if you just want to chill out and embark on the tour in a relaxed fashion, this is the place for you!
- When embarking on a Drop Bear Fraser Island tour from Rainbow Beach, you see a lot along the way. Double Island Point, Rainbow Beach Coloured Sands and Cooloola National Park are usually en route at least one way, depending on tides.
- You don’t get to see all the additional sights the Noosa crew get, but you have a later pickup from Rainbow Beach.
Fraser Island tour itinerary from Rainbow Beach
Departs Wednesdays, Saturdays + (from November) Mondays
- 10am: Pickup from Rainbow Beach (meeting point at Rainbow Beach Bus Stop on Spectrum St opposite the hostels)
- ?am: Drive on to barge at Double Island Point for transfer to Fraser Island.
- 11am: Arrive at camp, meet the rest of the tour group and your Drop Bear guide.
- 12pm: Set up camp area and have lunch
- 2pm: Start 30 minute walk into Lake Wabby
- 6pm: Chill out on the beach with a beer
- 7pm: Enjoy a classic Aussie BBQ
- 8am: Leave camp and drive North on 75 Mile Beach
- Sites visited during the day include Eli Creek, Indian Head, The Coloured Sands, Champagne Pools and the Maheno Shipwreck. In no particular order and not limited to.
- 5pm: Arrive back at camp after a day of swimming, walking and relaxing.
- 6pm: See above. Repeat.
- 7pm: Delicious stir fry for dinner
- 9am: Leave camp and drive inland
- 10am: Lake McKenzie
- 12pm: Lunch
- 1pm: Central Station Rainforest
- ?pm: Return to barge and back to Rainbow Beach (return to a different destination can be arranged)
Call our friendly Drop Bear Team to discuss your travel options from or to Rainbow Beach and to tailor an itinerary that suits your needs!